Cromer Pier to host iconic 60s vintage festival – opening with The Searchers Farewell Tour!
Cromer Pier in Norfolk, home to the world’s only full season ‘end of pier’ variety show, is to host an iconic 60s festival, inspired by all things vintage, from 28th – 30th March. The festival has a packed programme of events and promises something for everyone with highlights including The Searchers Farewell Tour, live musical entertainment, theatre, vintage vehicle displays, dancing and more. The mix of all things 60s related is certain to ignite passions for this special era, a time that is remembered so fondly by many… a period of history that brought us The Beatles, Twiggy, Pirate Radio, The Mini and so many more.
The event organisers, Openwide Coastal, are intending to make the 60s vintage festival a permanent annual fixture as initial interest has been extremely high, with some events already sold out. Cromer Pier General Manager Francis Guildea advised, “The response we have had has been phenomenal! We are very proud of the eclectic mix of events that we’ve pulled together and are really excited about the auction for the signed Red Fender guitar as this will be a real collectors piece. We have been overwhelmed by the response for The Searchers Farewell Tour concert with all tickets sold out. It’s the same for the Cromer Soul Vintage Vinyl DJ’s disco on the Friday evening. Cromer is definitely showing its commitment and passion for the 60s and our festival. Visitors to the pier can even arrive in authentic style on an original Route Master double decker red bus from Holt or Sheringham.”
The Festival programme includes:
- The Searchers Farewell Tour reaches its climax in the Cromer Pier Theatre on Thursday 28th at 8pm
- Soul vintage vinyl DJ’s: Cromer DJ’s “Hitman Hawkins” and Trevor “Half Nelson” spin the discs in the Pavilion Bar. Enjoy the music from the era as it was intended to be heard – on authentic vinyl. From Mod to Motown, Soul to Ska. A veritable A – Z of ‘monster tunes from popular music’s finest decade’
- Route Master double decker bus: Start your day as you mean to go on & arrive in style. The original Route Master bus will pick up visitors on Saturday 30th – War Memorial, Holt 10.15am, Sheringham Station 10.45am.
- Theatre: Original Pirate Radio DJ’s Keith Skues, Roger “Twiggy” Day, Nick Catford, Peter “Chicago” Murtha and Peter Phillips will be hosting an incredible reunion on stage in the pier theatre and reminiscing, sharing and regaling ‘pirate radio’ tales and experiences, sure to capture the imaginations of the audience. Pirate radio in 1964 changed everything for the record industry and the BBC. There will be a post event ‘meet and greet’ book signing of their own publications. Bookings can be made online, at the box office or on the door. Saturday 11am Tickets £5 including programme.
“All or Nothing The Mod Musical Experience” – A special version of the show, written for this event by producer Carol Harrison, will see a brilliantly multi-talented West End cast grace the theatre stage. They say this musical is guaranteed to deliver an ‘authentic, mod-tastic evening of entertainment!’ Saturday 8pm Tickets £22.
- Pavilion Bar ‘Rollback £1 a pint’: Yes, you read that right! Rollback £1 a pint hours; 11am – 12 noon and 2pm – 3pm (while stocks last). If a pint’s not for your palate, how about that classic sparking drink that symbolised swinging Britain in the sixties…yes, we will be serving Babycham!
- Red Fender style electric guitar Auction: Dig deep as organisers will be auctioning off this real collectors’ item, signed by sixties legends Herman’s Hermits, Union Gap, Marmalade, The Dreamers and The Searchers courtesy of Stagedoor Entertainments. This comes complete with a letter of authenticity. A piece that is sure to tempt all collectors, fans and enthusiasts. Auction takes place at 3.30pm on Saturday 30th in the Pavilion Bar.
- Live Music: live performances throughout the day on Saturday 30th March.
- Scooters, classic motorbikes and vehicle display: Fuel your nostalgia with a stroll along the promenade to take in the display of hundreds of scooters, classic motorbikes and vehicles. An opportunity to admire the collectors pride and joy. 11am – 4pm
- Exhibitions: The original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 18ft car, made famous by the 1968 hit musical, will be in prime position on the pier forecourt to wow visitors to the pier.
There will be a selection of scale models of the original ‘pirate’ ships, including the legendary Mi Amigo.
A rare original 7ft piece of mast from the Caroline ship will be on display, along with photos illustrating an iconic piece of history.
A Full sized original Red Series 2 character, Doctor Who’s Invasion Planet Earth Dalek and an Earthwork Invader to Earth Cyberman will be displayed to help you flash back to the 60s.
- Vintage trade stalls: Treat yourself to something vintage from one of the many trade stalls
- Dancing: The talented ‘little stars’ from Marlene’s School of Dance will enchant visitors with their Chitty Chitty Bang Bang themed dance displays.
Event organisers are advising visitors to the festival that entry to the pier is free, however, there are costs, as stated, for certain events.
Cromer Pier is owned and maintained by North Norfolk District Council. The Council has recently invested £1million in a programme of works that will protect the long term future of its iconic asset. North Norfolk District Council is proud to be the custodian of an award-winning asset that has featured on national TV and continues to attract tens of thousands of visitors from across the country and further afield every year.