The autumn Dorset Business Angels pitch event takes place on Monday 12th October. The virtual event will run in the same format as face to face pitch events which ran pre Covid and includes 5 unique pitching businesses, each delivering a 10 minute live presentation pitch to event attendees. A Q & A session follows, after which expressions of interest can be made by would be investors.Talent within the investors ‘den’ includes;
· A football talent spotting AI platform which is being developed. The business has recognised that although young talented footballers worldwide may be registered with FIFA, only 4% are ever likely to be viewed a professional football club. In addition, there are no formal channels for these aspiring players to bring their skills to the attention of a professional club, take part in selection games and/or receive some feedback on their ability.
After meetings with top coaches and managers, the founders of this Company realised that the way football searches for new talent globally is ‘very narrow and archaic’. It is now in the process of building a platform, using AI technology, that it claims could provide some of these talented players with possible life-changing opportunities.
· A Dorset based interior design company that has built a platform that has proved to be very successful in appealing to customers seeking help and guidance when undertaking, the often daunting task of renovating and furnishing their own home. The Company is now the most reviewed interior designer in the UK and has been rated the No.1 Design Professional, 3 years running, on the World’s leading platform for home renovations.
The business is scaling up rapidly with sales up 43% in the last financial year, and despite the current Covid-19 situation, sales to-date this year are up 80%. The platform has proved popular with both clients and suppliers, to the extent that a ‘white label’ version is to be launched to further increase both revenue and margin.
· A business offering classic car hire which acknowledges that the biggest challenges for the owner of a classic car is using it enough to justify the upkeep. Current research indicates that 57% of all historic vehicles are used less than 10 times per year. On the other hand, 5 times as many people aspire to drive a classic vehicle, without having to bear the costs of storage and maintenance. This Company bridges this gap and are the only provider of self-drive classic car hire, excluding chauffer driven hire. Having secured specialist insurance terms, the Company launched its platform 2 weeks before the CV-19 restrictions on travel were imposed, but has already attracted over 100 cars and 400 users to the site.
· A Company that has made a fundamental breakthrough in Electron Source Technology. This technology is used in a wide range of applications, notably Satellite Propulsion, 3D Printing, Advanced Metrology Systems and High-Power, High Frequency Communication Systems, to name but a few. Their equipment, which is fully patented, offers 10x better performance than any other solution in use today. They have no close competitors that can approach the performance of their products and the technical barriers to entry are high.
· A manufacturing business that first pitched to the Angels early in 2019 returns to the ‘den’ to update investors on their continued growth and success. The business has developed the ground-breaking technology of the perfect fuel-efficient burner to be used for the new generation of fat atomising gas grills, producing better quality food at lower energy costs than ever before. Developed in partnership with chefs over many years with particular emphasis on global development and sustainability and a focus on robustness and energy efficiency to meet today’s environmental goals. They are seeking further investment to support their year on year sales growth of 142%. Dorset Business Angels Chairman, Don McQueen advised, “We are particularly pleased with the mix of business pitching at the upcoming event. We encourage would-be investors to get in touch with us and would urge them to get involved. There is no obligation to invest in any of the pitches. Why not register and come along to see how our pitch events run.”
DBA was formed in 2013 with the aim to bring investors and entrepreneurs together to accelerate the growth of early stage businesses. DBA provides quality, private equity investment opportunities to local high net worth (HNW) and sophisticated investors (SI).
Four times a year companies are invited to attend an event at which they pitch their business to the savvy Angels in a Dragon’s Den type scenario. Angel investment might come from a single investor or it could be 2 or 3 Angels pooling funds together to support a company. Any investments are in the form of an equity investment and not a debtor’s loan. Investments are made across all sectors.
DBA is sponsored by Saffery Champness Accountants, Ellis Jones Solicitors and Investec Wealth and Investment. To find out more about Dorset Business Angels or to book a free place visit https://dorset-business-angels-virtual-pitch-event-october.eventbrite.co.uk